- Antiques, Arts, Crafts & Gifts
- ATV info
- Bicycle Routes & Trails
- Bird Watching & Nature Viewing
- Campgrounds: Public/Private
- County Parks and Forests
- Events Calendar
- Fishing, Fly Fishing & Ice Fishing
- Golf & Disk Golf
- Hiking and Walking
- Horseback Riding
- Kayaking, Canoeing & Tubing
- Lakes, Rivers & Streams
- State Parks & Forests
- Trails/Trail Conditions
- Visitors' Guide
- Waterfalls Tour
- Whitewater Rafting
- X-Country Skiing & Snowshoeing
County Parks and Forests
Marinette County operates eleven scenic "day parks" with six of them offering well-kept, beautifully wooded campgrounds. Come hike, picnic, whitewater raft, fish, or just relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery.
Camping is available on a first come, first served basis at all Marinette County campgrounds. Reservable campsites are available at Morgan Park and Twin Bridges Park.
Lodges for day use rental are available at Lake Noquebay, Morgan and Goodman Parks.
Goodman Park also has a cabin available for overnight rental.
Erik Aleson - Assistant Parks Administrator
Address: 1926 Hall Ave.
Marinette, WI 54143
Office Hours: Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
History of County Parks
Marinette County Parks were, for the most part, developed individually by various groups in each town. The County, over a period of time, gathered these individual parks into an integrated Parks system. Below is a short description of each park located on Marinette County Forest Lands.
MORGAN PARK – is located on Timm’s Lake, six miles east of Pembine. In 1958, Marinette County accepted responsibility for developing the park from local youth and civic groups. The Park was named after James C. Morgan, a County Board Member who was particularly active in establishing the Marinette County Forest.
GOODMAN PARK – offers a bridge over Strong Falls on the upper Peshtigo River. The park was dedicated in 1938 to R. B. Goodman who labored unselfishly to develop and perpetuate new forest and park lands.
VETERAN’S MEMORIAL PARK – in the Town of Stephenson, features a bridge over a waterfall. The reflecting pool at the bottom of the falls often plays host to local trout fisherman. Rustic camping and a large day-use area are also available. The park was developed by the American Legion and other civic organizations.
MCCLINTOCK PARK – is the “bridge park”. Four laminated, wood bridges are located over rapids in the upper Peshtigo River in northwestern Marinette County. It is a beautiful place to take pictures and have a picnic. Camping is also available. The park lands were purchased from Eleanor McClintock in 1936.
TWELVE FOOT FALLS PARK – was built in 1956 and 1957 in the center of the County’s largest forest plantation. The construction work was done by the Marinette County Forestry Department. Old time river drivers, who helped move the pine timber logged in the area named the falls by the distance the river dropped over the rock edge. Rustic camping sites are located near the reflecting pool of the falls.
The Marinette County Forest is comprised of approximately 231,500 acres making it the second largest county forest in Wisconsin. Our county forest lands are open to the public as mandated by the legislation that provided for the establishment of county forests. With the exception of a few sensitive areas, there are no posted lands in County Forests. The forest is serviced by nearly 225 miles of forest roads providing the public with access to parks, waterfalls, lakes, streams, campsites, and miles of snowmobile trails and designated ATV trails. A camping permit can be obtained from the Forestry Deparment which allows primitive campsites for up to two weeks on any county forest land. The Marinette County Transportation and Recreation Map shows all the County Forests in light green. To request a copy, call the County Parks office at 715-732-7530.
It was the forest that brought the first Europeans to Marinette County. As a result of the clamor to conquer the wilderness, our woods were completely destroyed. The logging slash was ideal for wild fires, which eventually culminated with the Peshtigo Fire. In a few short years, the soils gave out and people left to seek their fortunes elsewhere.
The Marinette County Forest originated in the 1920s with the taking of tax delinquent lands. Our forefathers came to the realization that the best use of their land was to raise wood. Fire protection and tax incentives in favor of forest crops paved the way for the managed county forest of today. Under the direction of the DNR's predecessor, the Wisconsin Conservation Department, a tree planting program was undertaken in 1933 with the help of the Civilian Conservation Corps and the Works Progress Administration. The DNR still provides technical assistance with timber management and fish and wildlife programs.
The scenic Marinette County Forests and Parks have been developed, in large part, to provide a quiet, relaxing environment for the general public. But the County Forest also creates more jobs than any other industry in the County, bringing approximately $2.1 million in income in 2004.
We know the value of a piece of land cannot be measured solely by the economic income generated. The majority of people who use and appreciate the Marinette County forests derive no monetary gain from it. We are indebted to many people who worked hard to establish and develop our county forest.
Welcome to Marinette County! Enjoy your visit ... and please respect our lands.
Marinette County © 2007 - Design by - Boomerang Marketing